An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 1

Photo by Mike Klemme

A tradition unlike any other?
Photo by Mike Klemme

Dear Shitty Husband,

Yep. You.

I know what you’re thinking. It’s one of, or some combination of, the following:

1. I’m not a shitty husband! I work 50-hour-plus weeks to pay for our house, and our cars, and our vacations, and her jewelry, and the kids’ activities. I love my wife and family!
  2. I’m not a shitty husband! I would do ANYTHING for my wife.
  3. I’m not a shitty husband! I fix things around the house that need fixed. I mow the lawn, and walk the dog, and take out the trash, and help change diapers, and run the kids to their little league games.
  4. I’m not a shitty husband! I always make sure she has an orgasm when we have sex once a week!
  5. I’m not a shitty husband! I don’t drink excessively, I’m drug-free, I work out, I don’t hit her, I don’t call her names and I don’t cheat!

And listen. I get it. You really truly don’t believe you’re a shitty husband. And I commend you for all of the good things you do, and applaud you for all the sacrifices you make on behalf of your wife and/or family.

But guess what?

Shut up. You’re an asshole and a shitty husband.

I don’t know everything there is to know about marriage. I might not even know a lot. But I know one VERY important thing: I’m an asshole. And I was a shitty husband.

On Easter Sunday of this year, my wife took her ring off after nine years of marriage and informed me she was leaving.

It hurt. It took my breath away. It frightened me.

But I wasn’t shocked.

Because we (husbands) have an awful lot more control than we think we do.

And all of us—male and female—need to accept more responsibility than we do for our circumstances.

And that’s what I’m going to do now. Accept some responsibility.

As of this writing, I don’t have much of an audience. But what little audience I have has read me talk about how my wife ended our nine-year marriage by leaving me the day after Easter.

But the question on the table today is: Had I been the husband I was supposed to be during the beginning and middle years of our marriage, would we ever have gotten to the point where my wife was looking elsewhere for inner peace and happiness?

She most definitely sucks for ending our relationship the way she did. She doesn’t get a free pass for that.

But this is where I have to take responsibility—at least part of it—for the position in which I find myself.

I was NOT a perfect husband.

I’m not even sure I was a good husband.

I loved her. I was kind to her. I wanted to make her happy and win her approval. I wanted to take care of her and provide for her. I went to work every day for her. She gave me purpose. I wanted to be with her forever.

But I was an asshole. A selfish one. And while I truly believe I redeemed myself during the final two years of our marriage, when I was growing and she was withdrawing, I was a shitty husband for the seven years prior.

Watching The Masters

I didn’t know it at the time, but four years ago, a defining moment in my life happened during the Sunday final round of The Masters golf tournament—generally considered to be the most-popular golf tournament of the year by American golf fans.

Living in Ohio, that general time period around Easter and The Masters is when you can count on the weather to break and really give you some beautiful days.

My ex-wife absolutely loves being outside. She grew up in the country, and sitting inside on a beautiful day is not her idea of a good time.

So, inevitably, it was gorgeous outside during the final round of The Masters. Our son was not quite a year old. And my wife wanted us, as a family, to go enjoy the weather together.

Go hike in the nearby national park.

Go to the zoo.

Go to a metro park trail.

Sounds pretty reasonable, right?

I think so.

But on that particular Sunday, without the benefit of failed-marriage hindsight? It sounded perfectly unreasonable.

It went something like this:

Me: “Babe. I’d really just like to watch my favorite golf tournament. This only happens once a year.”

Wife: “I can’t believe you want to sit inside on a such a beautiful day. You don’t want to go do something nice as a family?”

Me: “I don’t want to sit inside on a beautiful day—I kind of wish it was raining—and of course I want to do fun things together, but again, this golf tournament happens just one weekend a year. And that happens to be today. I’d like to watch it. I’m sorry.”

This all hit me a few months ago during the 2013 Masters. It was on TV at my house. But nobody was home. She’d already left. My son was gone. I was there. I was awake. But I wasn’t home.

I’m tempted to look up who even won the damn golf tournament this year. Because I truly can’t remember. Maybe Justin Rose or Adam Scott. But honestly, who cares?

I chose The Masters over a perfect Sunday afternoon with my wife and son.

And guess what, Guy Who Thinks That Sounds Perfectly Acceptable?

You’re an asshole. And a shitty husband. Just like me.

I committed marriage’s worst crime, after all the obvious stuff like cheating, and abuse, and the like.

I left my wife alone in our marriage.

It looks a lot like that Masters Sunday four years ago.

It’s what it looks like when she stays home on a Friday night to take care of the kids and do chores and watch “Desperate Housewives” alone on the couch while you’re out with the boys.

It’s what it looks like when she invites you to bed during Monday Night Football, but you’re too busy monitoring your fantasy football team to join her.

It’s what it looks like when she asks you to join her for a family function at the in-laws, and you decline so you can watch a movie at home alone, or sit around playing video games, or playing golf, or playing poker.

It’s what it looks like when you go to a party and you spend all of your time drinking and laughing with your friends, and never once squeezing her hand, or whispering in her ear how gorgeous she looks, or making eye contact from across the room and mouthing the words “I love you.”

It’s what it looks like when you leave the hospital to get a good night’s sleep the day your son was born even though your wife is begging you to stay.

It’s what it looks like when you don’t acknowledge all of the many things she carries every day so that you don’t have to—managing schedules, and the household, and buying gifts for birthdays and weddings and graduations, and keeping the house clean, and a million other things I’m STILL too fucking dense to recognize even though I’m still picking up the pieces in my now-empty home.

The hardest lesson I’ve ever learned is that you can have all of the good intentions in the world. You can be kind. And charming. And willing to sacrifice.

And it can STILL break.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I’ve heard that proverb my entire life and I never really knew what it meant until now.

You know, it’s funny. I could have just DVR’d the fucking Masters.

And you can too.

We’re broken people. We’re shitty husbands.

But gentlemen—we don’t have to be.

You May Also Want to Read:

An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 2

An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 3

An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 4

An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 5

An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 6

An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 7

An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 8

An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 9

An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 10

An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 11

An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 12

An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 13

Like this post? Hate it? You can subscribe to this blog by scrolling annoyingly far to the bottom of this page and inserting your email address under “Follow Blog via Email.” You can also follow MBTTTR on Twitter and Facebook.

Tagged , , , ,

459 thoughts on “An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 1

1. Happy wife says:

I read this with my husband who after 33 years of marriage is not shitty any more but could definitely relate to your words as I could as it brought back memories especially days spent in the hospital alone after childbirth. However, now he has spent a month at my side as I’ve been hospitalized. Point being, a wife exercising patience can end up with a perfect husband. Thanks for your blog and humor!!

Thank that man for me. Because, short of the people who always get it right, he’s the example of what we’re supposed to be.

I’m happy for you and your marriage, and really appreciate you sharing this story with us.

2. Shitty says:

Your wife is a spoiled brat. My husband does not have a job, smokes pot every day, physically assaults me, prevents me from going to church, barely talks to me, does not have sex with me, calls me names, left me alone in the ER, never takes me on dates, spends mos of his time on draft kings. Granted, he’s also a good father, and he always makes sure xmas and bdays are special. I know he loves me his own way. But he is most definitely a shitty husband.

• lifedontwasteit says:

No you’re a willing martyr for staying where someone physically harms. Stop being stupid. Pity is not a commodity.

• trailblazer says:

Why do you put up with that? If he’s that bad, how can he be a good father? Good fathers do not express his awful behavior. Sounds like you need to close the door and not return.

• Kukiekoo says:

He is not a good father. A good father wouldn’t teach his kids to disrespect the mother of their children because ultimately they are going to grow up to be like him. If you have sons they will learn this behaviour and teach him this is how you treat women. If you have a daughter she will grow up believing this is how she should be treated. I urge you to want more for your children, and for yourself. Sending love and strength

• trailblazer says:

3. Cheryl Johnson says:

Thanks, Matt. My husband of 25 yrs read it and was shocked. He thought it describes himself perfectly. He’s not generally an asshole, but he does believe there are only certain things he needs to do, and all the little things can be neglected. But like you say it’s a little things that make the difference. Every day there are things to do and to decide and as his wife I need help! After reading your first letter he has already made an effort. That means the world to me.

Now I wonder if the majority of divorces are caused by these small things that men neglect, the daily affirmations etc, because in general I think women try harder to make the marriage work. I know this is a huge generalization, but I really wonder if that could be a main issue. Sorry guys. But my dad got divorced after 35 yrs (mom met someone else) and wonders why wives are always mad. Uh, dad you ignored mom’s request to move your papers off the table and to help a little. She didn’t ask for much and gave so much. They are good friends now — I think he knows he was a shitty husband.

4. Kim Hipps says:

Dear Lord! Have you got a hidden camera recording my life? That was actually scary to read! I’ve known I have a shitty husband, but thank you for the confirmation.

5. adam says:

Well Perfect husbands or wives does not exist and both can be shitty. Crisis are triggered by inconsiderate expectations from either of the partner. Freedom and respect should be the line of of conduct, that means for instance companionship with care, distance and love, never passion and fusion. It does not work and lead to frustration overtime. Not asking or being demanding for something that the other part does not want to give. Let it go. Smile to your partner always and build a story on a common values and behaviours, that is the most important.

• GMGH says:

I agree with adam’s comments, especially “Smile to your partner always and build a story on a common values and behaviours, that is the most important.”

6. Laura says:

Thank you for writing this. Really. I am a wife feeling like Im an invisible sidekick to his endeavors but if you ask him, he will say the same about how I make him feel. Im too naggy, nothing makes me happy, and the thing Im best at? He says is making people feel shitty about themselves. I dont do it intentionally and I know he doesnt either but after some time the love starts to fade and resentment and loneliness kick in. Instead of listening we’re defending. Ive started a calendar of how many days in the month we dont talk and are simply transactional. It astounded me, the way I feel my life slipping by and time flying by the second, when I just want to have someone look at me. Actually look into my eyes and see me. Not pretty, or sexy, or even ok, just to look and see Im here too. A hand squeeze would be fantastic.I understand why some marriages fail and why people drift now. It takes 2 to communicate, and for the people who are not as good at expressing themselves I believe you’ve really nailed it on the head. You’ve put into words what I’ve been longing to hear. Thank you for saying what you have. I know its not my husband saying it, but it does feel
    nice to know someone out there understands. Thank you

7. Jerry Fender says:

You sound like a wimp. Thant’s why she left you. Women are not that complicated. She left you because she found less benefit from staying with you. You are a live person who deserves watch a show if it’s important to you.

1. Or, maybe I sound like a dude who wrote something a month after losing his family. (Five years ago, by the way.)

2. Relationships ARE complicated. Which is why the vast majority of them fail (dating and married couples).

They’re complicated because they involve more than one person, regardless of gender. And the root cause of every shitty thing that happens on earth (not counting naturally occurring things like disease and natural disasters) can be traced back to one thing: the inability of any two people or groups to not be assholes to each other whenever they disagree about something.

People sucking at interpersonal relationships is why bad shit happens.

Can’t be overstated.

• Lisa Gottman says:

Interesting to read a man’s comment that “women aren’t complicated”. I seriously doubt I would agree with Jerry’s assessments of what the average woman thinks based on his take of this post.

I agree with you that humans are complicated, relationships are complicated.

It doesn’t mean they can’t be understood. Only that it takes effort to get it right. Your blog has been helpful to many, many people to understand and change.

It’s always strange to me that certain men feel compelled to write insults to you. But it says a lot more about their defenses than anything about you.

8. Ash says:

It’s rare for people to be this honest with themselves, so thank you. Even if my husband dosnt understand, it’s nice to be validated by someone who gets it. It has let me know that I’m not alone, I’m not too demanding or naggy… and I am definitely not crazy.

9. Young Lady says:

How much I would give for my husband to read this, but even if I send it to him, he won’t read it. We have been married for 2 years. He is that good husband, smart, handsome, with a good job, nice past life. We travel together, go out, etc. I know he loves me but he doesn’t listen to me. He says he does, but when I’m telling him a good news, he is just waiting for me to finish so he can finally turn the TV on. I ALWAYS hear what he says, and I make conversations even if the topic he likes is boring.I love him, and I hope he really gets this soon. I’m so scared of our life being like this, that I dont wanna have a baby. I know with a men like this, this situation will get worse. I’m not asking him a house, or money (I work and study at the same time): I JUST WANT HIM TO HEAR ME (and act like if he is doing it). I’ve told this many times, but he doesn’t get it :(
    This should be a manual for newlyweds.

• bendavid says:

That is not the sign of a bad husband. All men are, more or less, like that.
      I suggest that for him to show an interest in what you say, you should show an interest in what he likes. Maybe you’re used to being worshipped, but marriage is not about romantic dinners and staring into each other’s eyes. Marriage can be boring, a grind. It’s up to the partners to make it as pleasant as possible.
      Why not plan an activity he would like, something you both can do together. Boat ride, watching a game at the arena, watching an action film he would like. That would put him in a good mood and you’ll find he’s more apt to listen when he feels happy.

10. […] get comment from people who read An Open Letter to Shitty Husbands, Vol. 1 and tell me that I’m better off without my wife, because at least now I can watch The Masters […]

11. […] you ever read “An open letter to shitty husbands.” It’s a whole series about how men suck at being husbands. I found so much truth about my […]

12. Ree says:

If only I could have shown this to my ex husband of 15 years! Such real introspective observation! I’m sure this was tough to evolve in writing but amazing to realize in the end!

13. Jess Liles says:

You can stick this up your ass sideways! You cook, you clean, you work OT and now she has you believing you were a shitty husband? Dude you are messed up! Let me get this straight, you are providing shelter, cars, money, and are happy but once a year during a golf game she wants you to take her out, knowing it’s only once a year?! Dude she is testing you, trying to piss you off so she would have an excuse to feel better about cheating on you! Oh yeah, she has been cheating on you for a while, but you have been too dumb with your happy life to notice it! You must either be the dumbest male on the face of this earth, or the most incomprehensible. Do yourself a favor and delete this ignorance. She was using you, cheating, and finally had a good enough grasp on another branch to bounce!
    Tell that bitch, goodbye and walk away!

• bendavid says:

While your idea has merit (cuz I’m not sure if you have actual facts that the Wife cheated) let’s not rage on Matt. He was in grief at the time, and he blamed himself. He saw himself as the one at fault.

It’s true his wife left him for mundane reasons. Other women have it much worse. Your theory makes sense that she was in an affair and used Matt while she could.

In which case, Matt is better off without her. He also entered a period of soul searching. This won’t hurt him. He emerges from this stronger and more engaged.

Appreciate this, but you’ll have to forgive me for thinking that waxing intellectual with Jess might not be a productive use of time and energy. :)

14. Leslie Dodge says:

This is fabulous! Thank you for being honest and willing to share your story! ❤️

15. Abes says:

I wish you could be friends with who im married to
    can’t help but compare – in the same
    Situation my husband will not say it nicely the way you did
    Talking – most of the time try to talk but he does not face me

16. Elka De Lima says:

Wow! Thank you so much for being a real man, owning your own shit & actually trying to educate others to do the same before their wives leave them.

17. Tonya Clark says:

I think this is amazing, every article and I don’t think it’s just for men because I learned something as well on how I can i.prove as a wife because it goes both ways and sometimes the wife is the asshole to. I want to show it to my husband but I’m afraid he will be offended or mad thinking I’m calling him shitty. Maybe someone could suggest a good way to bring it up to him with out seeming like I’m attacking him.

18. Broonessa says:

Yea, I realize I’m commenting on an old post but..maybe it will be relevant to a newcomer..Being way older than probably most that have commented….it takes teamwork. And evaluating what is more important. Could you DVR the tournament and spend time with the family? Sure you could. Could the wife give you one day to watch a show? Depends…do you watch golf every week and this show is something special and you need down time? Again…team work. Plan for outings. Plan for time together as a family. Be spontaneous, but yet be forgiving if someone had a crappy week and just needs a few hours alone to get their shit together. Families won’t break over an hour or two where someone needs time alone..unless that is the norm…then that is a problem. It is about give and take. Yea yea..family first MOST of the time but damn it be real…..we ALL need some down time alone to get our shit together! What is the first thing they tell you on an airplane…put your mask on first or you are no good to anyone else. Take care of yourself..take care of the family…BUT, everyone needs some alone time..it is good for us all. Don’t feel so guilty for needing to get your shit together…not at the expense of the family as a whole…but enough to keep yourself sane. Thanks for the post….but don’t be so hard on yourself either.

• Murphy nelson says:

These assholes don’t get it at all…who gives a shit if you chose to watch golf rather than help in making opportunities to maybe make more offspring…thank gawd. I don’t believe in god. In fact, I think religion is one of the most terrible things to happen to the human race..but it as a cultural attribute did help us in some ways to evolve socially…and I’m not talking about Christianity, you nitwit Republican wasp.

The original point is that you’re so disgusting because you don’t have any part of you that’s original that you in fact help further the desperately needed argument of the atheists, which is that there is no benevolent force that’s going to save us. You are so ridiculously unlayered that you’re proof that humans are merely evolved from animals. You’re fucking stupid. Goddamnit…let me guess you’re in business of some sort…you’re in sales or you’re a manager…

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Murphy Nelson.

He’s the smartest. You can just tell. So do whatever he says, everybody, and reap the many life rewards.

19. Murphy nelson says:

Oh my god your worst mistake is being the most unoriginal, biggest cliche ever. Are you even human? I’m glad you and your wife broke up because at least it gives the rest of the world a break from you procreating. Jesus fucking Christ you must be like the biggest asshole Republican loser in the western hemisphere. I love the Masters! I love Monday night football! I love hanging out with my Bros in my man cave! What a fucking loser! Goddamnit you fucking cookie cutter piece of shit!

20. Greg says:

Matt,

Thank you for sharing. You’ve clearly gained a lot of insight from your experiences.

I am currently a shitty husband who will be married to my amazing wife for five years in September. I am the luckiest man in the world to be married to my wife and to have the three most beautiful children on Earth. But, I suck. I have lots to work on. So, thank you again for sharing this blog.

21. S says:

Interesting. I really enjoyed reading this. For some reason vol 6 came up first. My husband would say the list of 5 things, but he could probably only say 3 of them. AND would still call himself not a shitty husband. Actually I think he would just list the first one(and not 50 hours, but 40 and pay 65% of our bills) and just that alone in his opinion would not make him a shitty husband. What does it take to get through to him that this is just not even close to enough??!!

22. Lara Anderson says:

I sent some of these articles to my husband and this is the response I got.

I hope you’re enjoying yourself Lara because there’s plenty I wish you’d do because you’re a shitty wife but it’s always about me

Yeah. He felt attacked and defensive. I’ve been thinking A LOT about this lately. I’m trying to find the best words to share these ideas with men in a way that reduces instances of them feeling attacked.

You were trying to help him understand you, and it backfired because instead of viewing it as an opportunity to learn something about you that could benefit your marriage, he interpreted it as you saying he was a bad person, and an inadequate romantic/life partner.

It hurt his feelings. I remember what that feels like, so I get where he’s coming from.

I’m still working on this. I’m still working on a way to share this with people in a more thoughtful and nuanced way that welcomes them to an important conversation rather than puts them on the defensive.

I’m sorry this happened, Lara.

• M says:

right, that makes sense. The writer is really writing to himself, because you aren’t going to get through to very many men by calling them a “shitty husband” I get it all, but the defenses are going to come up pretty high on this.

23. Fed up wife says:

My husband needs an intervention and for someone (other than myself) to send this to him… how does one coordinate that? If I send it to him he’s going to think I’m threatening divorce and only makes him angry and lash out even more, yet he just doesn’t get that I’m not f-ing kidding and it’s not empty threats!!!)

This blog post IS my husband (almost) to a tee, except you could add in that he hasn’t worked in over 2 years (there are plenty of somewhat legitimate excuses, but he’s made very little effort to date to overcome them and of course none of them are his own doing) and he spends more time in a week or watching sports and following social media than he does looking for/applying for real work

I’m a consultant (work from home) who scaled back my hours/clients right before having our son (now 20 months old) and only technically took a month off before resuming work for one of my smaller clients (only once my son was out of his stay in the NICU, or it would have been sooner).

I currently only work a handful of hours per week for 3 total clients (and could do/bill more) but I feel like I’m always getting push back/sabotaging behavior (in an undermining way) from my hubby when it comes to finding time to get work done.

I can count on one hand the number of times he’s done an overnight shift with our kid (who still wakes up at least twice between midnight and 6am, usually a few times between 4 and 6am). He has offered once and I’ve had to ask the other 2-3 times (to which his initial response was “no” and caused a huge fight)

He DOES thankfully usually take the baby from 6am-9am so I can get a little extra rest (which I see as part of my overnight sleep, but he thinks is equivalent of Gods gift to the world). He also does most of the meal prep… so I can’t complain about that.

But, again he watches a disproportionate amount of sports (European soccer, baseball, football, hockey are the “untouchables”, pulse golf and tennis when there are big tournaments) and so the sheer amount of time that his ASS is on our couch in a day is at least tenfold of what mine is in a month. When I’m “watching” the kid, 75+% of the time he watches sports (um, mind you his priority SHOULD be looking for a J.O.B) when he’s with the kid… 80-90% of the time I’m either doing work for clients or cleaning the house or doing laundry, etc. I have NEVER once spent even spent a millisecond lounging on a sofa to read a book or watch a movie while he entertains the little in the other room (I can count on less than two hands in 20 months when I might have gone upstairs for a 30min nap because of a rough all-nighter with the baby)

In 20 months I have yet to ever be alone in my own house while he is out doing something with our kid. And if I did, the place would be spotless and only then I would take a bath if there was time left!!

In contrast… this week I took the toddler on a 5 hour outing to a children’s museum. Came home and there was still a pile of mated (which I had done the day before) baby socks on the coffee table, a WET (with pee) diaper on the family room floor between the couch and the coffee table (that HE took off my son right before we left in the morning and left there), the counters were a mess, the sink was full of dishes, the floor was a mess and could have clearly used a vacuum… and to top it off, when I asked how his day was… he told me how he took two of the dogs for a walk to the liquor store to buy beer because he was out. And then also proceeded to tell me the front tire in the stroller (which he took along so he could wheel the beer home) might need to be pumped up (which I just checked 3 days later… is low)

I just exhaled, moved on with my day (I had an event that evening, he stayed home with the kid… I was thankful for that) and the next day the same mess lingered for most of the day until I came down after putting the little one to bed and he was watching sports, on the couch (all things, except the diaper on the floor) in the same condition or worse to the day before)… to which I took a deep breath and said “can we please do a quick pick up of the house”… and I have to give him credit, he didn’t complain and helped out. But it PAINS me to HAVE to ask for help with the OBVIOUS!!!

Then today, I was getting ready to help a friend out at her local store (I fill in every once in a while, less than once every month) for THREE hours. So this morning after he had the tot for about 3hrs, he texted me to see if I was up and I told him I was, but needed to jump in the shower and had to leave for the shop in an hour…

Strike 1- his reply “didn’t you take a shower yesterday”… I explain that I did, but then we went swimming and my hair is all messed up (mind you he has NEVER needed “permission” to take a shower and I don’t recall the last time he’s even given me a heads up that he was going to take one.

A few minutes later he asked if I could do him a favor and watch our son for 10 minutes while he used the bathroom… so I said “sure” and brought him into the shower with me (which obviously takes more time and effort than if I were solo) … after the shower finished the little one was running around naked, climbing on a stool and trying to play with the sink faucet (which requires supervision still so he doesn’t fall and split his chin, etc.) I was stuck and couldn’t leave the bathroom get dressed/get myself ready so I called for my hubby to come up and get the kid dressed, etc. and said I needed to leave in 20min. I heard him reply, but couldn’t understand what he said and thought he was on his way…

… about 5 minutes later, I’ve finally wrangled a diaper on a screaming kid (which I know he can hear downstairs) and I call down asking hubby to “please come now that I need to get dressed and leave in 15 minutes”

Strike 2- he calls back that he’s “laying down for a little bit before he has to take our son for the rest of the day” 🤯 …

[Never mind that I’m only going to be gone for 3hrs (2 of which he kid is going to be sleeping) AND he slept alone in our room, completely undisturbed from 11pm-6am while I shared a bed with a restless toddler in the other room because he kept waking up… yet I’m the one getting ready to go work for a few hours)

So I call back down that I still need to get dressed, blow dry and eat something… to which he responds “why are you yelling?”… and I say, calmly, because I assume (or am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he can’t hear me)” and reiterate that I need help so I can finish getting ready… to which he replies “go ahead, it’s called parenting” 🤯🤯🤯

I tell him he’s being an ass and ask him to at least bring me an article of clothing I needed from the laundry or I’m going to walk down the stairs naked (his dad is visiting and staying in the room across from our laundry area)… to which he asked “hanging on which door” and I couldn’t help but say “there are only two doors it’s on one of them!!!”

Then he has the audacity to come up the stairs while continuing to lecture me about how I should be able to parent my child while getting ready 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯… apparently it’s called “being a parent” people. And I helped remind him that I know and I parent that kid all night, while HE sleeps. So he should be able to parent the kid while he naps too.

By this time I need to be out the door in less than 10 minutes so I leave him with a screaming toddler to blow dry, gave the baby a kiss and left… of course hubby thinks we are hunky dory

Then he calls while I’m at the store, says our son just woke up and they are coming to visit and talking all about plans for the afternoon and seems completely miffed that I’m still pissed at him and told him he and his dad should take our son and go enjoy, I have plenty of work to get done at home (and quite frankly wasn’t in the mood to hang out with HIM) today.

And long story short (too late for that I guess) proceeds to say things for the rest of the afternoon like… “I knew you were going to make a big fight out of this” and “why should we suffer and not have fun because of your bad mood” (when I had actually responded to everything quite calmly (because I’ve lost the ability to give a flying F at this point).

So in the end he and his dad go off to do their thing while I keep the toddler at home (we had a new sitter coming to visit) and he comes back, makes a comment (aka excuse) about “the problem was I didn’t go to sleep until 11:30 last night and had one too
    many drinks with his dad”… no, apology or sorry I was being a dick… just a lame attempt to reason

To which again I don’t even give a single F enough to acknowledge he said anything (not that it even warranted a response)

So he makes dinner (while I put the toddler to bed for a 3rd night in a row, when we are normally supposed to trade off) and thinks again we are all just hunky dory (because he made dinner like he usually does)

So… I guess I’m asking, what’s the best way to go about coordinating an intervention before it’s really too late (although I’m not entirely sure that it isn’t already)

Any chance someone has a service where I can send his email and they send an anonymous note??

24. one more wife says:

Hello Matt,

What a great text you wrote! It feels that is more for us, the (lost)wives than the husbands… as we notice in the comments.
    Made me understand a lot of things about my marriage, especially that it’s not always my fault.
    I grew up seeing how my alcoholic father was horrible and made my mother destroy herself and involving me and my sisters on that all, feels like i did fall in the trap of the bad relationship too ( not as bad as my mother for sure!).
    Just like the rest of the girls here, i wanted my husband to care more for me…
    Looks like a lot of women had the bad experience of been left alone in the hospital after giving birth, my husband spent few hours in these 4 days i had to be in the hospital because he was too tired after our son born (?!?), and still did bring his friend in these hours or kept talking in the phone all the time. He did and say so many other things that did hurt me too..many times aware of it.
    I am happy to say that reading the stuff here i noticed i am not the evil wife nagging about things and looking for problems all the time in the marriage. I am not saying i am the perfect one. But now i see i am not the crazy lost one. I feel encouraged to take the step and go away from him :D
    Believe or not, it feels much better when we realise we just don’t care anymore for what the guy does!
    We can do fine by our own or at least try! Maybe find someone else who deal a better with the life together and is not that selfish.
    I hope you have your second chance to show to someone how more nice and kind you became <3 thanx for "stand with us"

25. Nathaniel Calverley says:

Oh my god I have never read such pussy whipped drivel in my life .Someone please shoot me now I will never get this emasculating garbage out of my head.

26. A shitty husband for wanting to do things you wanna do sometimes? This whole article is ridiculous. She leaves a man who supports her and is loyal and a good dad because of her own selfishness and immaturity.

27. John Doe says:

With so many low life pieces of shit women nowadays which they will never make a good wife at all since they really are nothing but real total losers altogether to begin with. MGTOW is the real true and very safe way for many of us good single men since this will certainly save many of us men a lot of money, torture, pain, misery, and we will never have to worry about losing in court as well.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )